Charlynn (Char) Turner, is a dog sport trainer/enthusiast and instructor. Professional affiliations include Pet Professional Guild, Certified Trick Dog Instructor (CTDI), AKC Trick Dog/CGC Evaluator, National Association of Treibball Enthusiasts (NATE) charter member and past member on board of directors, and Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT). A regular participant in continuing education, Char frequently attends seminars and workshops by trainers such as Pat Miller, John Rogerson, Michele Pouliot, the Clicker Expos, Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, and many others who educate and advocate for dog friendly, relationship based training. Char periodically teaches Treibball, Tricks and Parkour classes at Love on a Leash in Harrisonburg VA and also gives private lessons. Click here for training philosophy.
Training and competition experience: Char first trained and competed in obedience in 1971 with the much loved family pet, a Great Pyrenees. Still in high school at the time, she was also actively training and showing horses. During her 14+ years as a practicing licensed veterinary technician, she discovered positive reinforcement training methods and began putting it into practice with both dogs and horses. Throughout the years since, Char has trained and titled her dogs in multiple sports including Obedience, Rally, Tricks, Parkour and Treibball. She continues her education by regular participation in professional training events such as the Clicker Expo, Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, and others. She is dedicated to the philosophy and practice of positive, relationship-based training.
Education and work history: Education includes A.A.S. degree in Animal Husbandry, A.A.S. in Veterinary Technology with a B.S. in Health Sciences, and C.C.S. in Biotechnology. Work experience includes owner/operator of a dog grooming business, many years in practice as a licensed veterinary technician, parasitology research technician,and college laboratory specialist. At home on their farm she and her husband Keith have raised livestock for over 35 years- including sheep and dairy heifers. These days you will often see Holstein heifers in the background of Char’s training videos. Positive reward-based training also carries over to managing the livestock, as Char’s husband Keith practices humane and low stress handling methods.
- Pet Professional Guild, advocates for force free training (professional member)
- NATE, National Association of Treibball Enthusiasts, Charter Member, past board member, served on the Rules and Competition Standards Committee 2013-2016.
- CTDI, Certified Trick Dog Instructor
- AKC CGC/Trick Dog Evaluator
- Licensed Veterinary Technician since 1988 (LVT, State of Virginia)
Continuing education, since 1991:
- Ongoing since 2013- I am a continuing student of the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, taking online courses in all areas of competition obedience, tricks, parkour and concepts of relationship based training for all sports and life.
- 2016: 2 day Seminar and workshop with Shade Whitesel, trainer and Fenzi Academy faculty in Competition Obedience and IPO.
- 2014: Clicker Expo, March 29-31, Norfolk VA. (Instructors Ken Ramirez, Kay Laurence, Michele Pouliot, Kathy Sdao)
- 2013: Trick Dog Instructor Certification Workshop (Do More with Your Dog, Kyra Sundance), Richmond, VA
Pat Miller 2 day Shaping Camp (Peaceable Paws, Fairplay, Maryland)
- 2012-2017: World Treibball League, participant
- 2010-11: Treibball workshops (4), by Pat Miller, Peaceable Paws
- 2010: Clicker Expo Lexington, Ky. Instructors: Ken Ramirez, Joan Orr, Helix Fairweather, Kathy Sdao, Jesús Rosales-Ruiz, Ph.D., Jenn and Steve White, Eva Bertilsson and Emelie Johnson Vegh.
- 2009: Guiding your Dog to Greatness, Virginia Broitman Clicker Workshop (Glen Allen, VA) 2 days- clicker, shaping and targeting.
Michele Pouliot (Red Lion, PA) 2 days-clicker training for performance and competition.
- 2008: Stuart Mah (2 days agility). Jane Killion (clicker/shaping for agility).
- 2007: Canine Freestyle Festival (VA)- 3 days, clicker seminars by Kay Laurence, Julie Flanery, Diane (Kowalski) Balkavich, and Nancy Von Koehnnen.
- 2006: John Rogerson (Richmond, VA) (3 days-training for performance and competition obedience)
- 2005: APDT Rally Judges and training seminar
Veterinary Technicians C.E. conferences -1991, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004;
National and Regional Veterinary C.E.: American Veterinary Medical Association Conference 1992 (Pittsburgh, PA), North American Veterinary Conference 1994; Mid Atlantic Veterinary Conference (York, PA.) 1995
This page has the following sub pages.