Charlynn (Char) Turner, is a dog sport trainer/enthusiast and instructor. Professional affiliations include Pet Professional Guild member, Certified Trick Dog Instructor (CTDI), Stunt Dog Judge (Do More With Your Dog), AKC Trick Dog/CGC Evaluator, AKC Farm Dog Certified Judge, Charter member of National Association of Treibball Enthusiasts (NATE) Judge and past board of directors, and Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT, state of VA). A regular participant in continuing education, Char attends seminars and workshops such as the Clicker Expo, Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, Pat Miller, Michele Pouliot, Shade Whitesel and others who educate and advocate for dog friendly, relationship based training. Char also serves as online training assistant for Dr. Deb Jones of Fenzi Dog Sport Academy. Char teaches Tricks, Stunt Dog, Parkour and Treibball at two locations-on her farm and at Love on a Leash in Harrisonburg VA. Private lessons also available for Fenzi TEAM, competition obedience. Click here for training philosophy.
Training and competition experience: My introduction to dog sports was in the form of competitive obedience in 1971 with our much loved family pet, a Great Pyrenees named Heidi. Still in high school at the time, I was also actively involved training and showing horses. Later on after college during my career as a licensed veterinary technician, I learned about positive reinforcement training during a veterinary conference in 1990. This in turn led me to Karen Pryor’s classic, “Don’t Shoot the Dog” and the Clicker Journal, all of which started my journey into the evolving new world of positive, science based training. Throughout the years since, I have trained and titled a variety of dogs in multiple sports including Obedience, Rally, Agility, Tricks, Parkour and Treibball. I am an avid lifelong student and continue my education through participation in professional training events such as the Clicker Expo, Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, and many others. While I still enjoy organized sports occasionally, my true joy these days is in the process. With each of my dogs as individuals, I embrace the opportunities for growth and learning and being challenged by their uniqueness. In turn I love sharing as much as I can to help others enjoy their best life by introducing fun activities to enhance learning, bonding, relationship and skills that will crossover to any activity or sport. Needless to say, I remain committed to the philosophy and practice of scientific, positive relationship-based training as it continues to evolve.
Education and work history: Education includes A.A.S. degree in Animal Husbandry, A.A.S. in Veterinary Technology with a B.S. in Health Sciences, and C.C.S. in Biotechnology. Work experience includes owner/operator of a dog grooming business, 15+ years as a practicing licensed veterinary technician in mixed animal practice, parasitology research project manager, and college laboratory specialist. At home on our farm with my husband Keith we have raised livestock for over 40 years, including sheep, beef cattle and currently dairy heifers. These days you will often see Holstein heifers in the background of my training videos:) Positive reward-based training also carries over to managing the livestock, as Keith practices humane and low stress livestock handling methods.
- AKC CGC/Trick Dog Evaluator
- AKC Farm Dog Certified Judge
- CTDI, Certified Trick Dog Instructor
- Stunt Dog Judge (Do More With Your Dog)
- Pet Professional Guild member, advocates for force free training
- NATE, National Association of Treibball Enthusiasts, Charter Member, past board member, served on the Rules and Competition Standards Committee 2013-2016.
- Licensed Veterinary Technician since 1988 (LVT, State of Virginia)
Continuing education, since 1991:
- Continuing in 2019, ongoing since 2013, regular student of the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy, continually taking online courses in concepts of relationship-based training for all dog sports and enrichment.
- 2019-March 21-24 Clicker Expo, Washington D.C.
- 2018-Sept. 23- Stunt Dog Judge Certification with Kyra Sundance (Do More With Your Dog), All Dog Adventures, Richmond, VA
- 2018- April 14-15. 2 day seminar with Michele Pouliot, Wholistic Hound, Alexandria, VA.
- 2017: July 15-16. 2 day seminar with Michele Pouliot, at Wholistic Hound, Alexandria, VA.
- 2016: November 13-14. 2 day Seminar and workshop in Mebane, N.C. with Shade Whitesel, trainer and Fenzi Academy faculty in Competition Obedience and IPO.
- 2014: Clicker Expo, March 29-31, Norfolk VA. (Instructors Ken Ramirez, Kay Laurence, Michele Pouliot, Kathy Sdao, Hannah Branigan)
- 2013: Trick Dog Instructor Certification Workshop (Do More with Your Dog, Kyra Sundance), Richmond, VA
Pat Miller 2 day Shaping Camp (Peaceable Paws, Fairplay, Maryland)
- 2012-2017: World Treibball League, participant
- 2010-11: Treibball workshops (4), by Pat Miller, Peaceable Paws
- 2010: Clicker Expo Lexington, Ky. Instructors: Ken Ramirez, Joan Orr, Helix Fairweather, Kathy Sdao, Jesús Rosales-Ruiz, Ph.D., Jenn and Steve White, Eva Bertilsson and Emelie Johnson Vegh.
- 2009: Guiding your Dog to Greatness, Virginia Broitman Clicker Workshop (Glen Allen, VA) 2 days- clicker, shaping and targeting.
Michele Pouliot (Red Lion, PA) 2 days-clicker training for performance and competition.
- 2008: Stuart Mah (2 days agility). Jane Killion (clicker/shaping for agility).
- 2007: Canine Freestyle Festival (VA)- 3 days, clicker seminars by Kay Laurence, Julie Flanery, Diane (Kowalski) Balkavich, and Nancy Von Koehnnen.
- 2006: John Rogerson (Richmond, VA) (3 days-training for performance and competition obedience)
- 2005: APDT Rally Judges and training seminar
Veterinary Technicians C.E. conferences -1991, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004;
National and Regional Veterinary C.E.: American Veterinary Medical Association Conference 1992 (Pittsburgh, PA), North American Veterinary Conference 1994; Mid Atlantic Veterinary Conference (York, PA.) 1995
This page has the following sub pages.